The Local Issues Committee and its Action Teams focus on identifying the wide-ranging issues facing Gainesville City and Alachua county residents.
- Affordable Housing
- What is the state of housing in Gainesville?
- What are the potential effects of gentrification on affordability?
- What's new in Alachua County: Land Trust Community
- What's the coming 'silver tsunami?
- Civic Education
- Our league is now in its fourth year of partnering with the Alachua County Public School system to present "Civics Challenge" a county-wide academic competition held between public middle school seventh grade students. Designed to aid students in studying for the end-of-year civics exam, this competition is held at the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners' building, where teams face off "family-feud" style to answer questions which challenge their understanding of our political system--past and present. Due to Covid constraints, the Civics Challenge Committee is exploring ways to hold the annual competition for 2021 In a virtual format while still making it an exciting and fun event for the students.
- Civics Challenge, 2020; school teams and coaches
- Explore working with Bob Graham Center to promote civic education
- Collaborate with other League chapters
Meetings are held by Zoom the 1st Thursday each month, 5:00 pm
Contact Committee Chair for more information