The League of Women Voters of New Castle proudly supports the Black Lives Matter movement and strongly denounces the hateful vandalism of the Black Lives Matter sign at the Chappaqua Friends Meeting House in Chappaqua. We stand in complete support of all BIPOC members of our local, national, and global community. Read the LWVUS response to the police killing of George Floyd here. Black people across this country continue to be the target of police violence. It is not enough to stand in solidarity with the Black community. We must take action to deconstruct systemic racism everywhere. We honor George Floyd’s life by committing to deepening our anti-racism work throughout the League.
Did you miss our conversation about how student-led, experiential civics education can equip our students with the skills, knowledge, and dispositions for lifelong civic participation in our 21st century democracy? You can watch it here, thanks to NCCMC.
DEADLINES FOR VOTING IN THE NOVEMBER 3, 2020 GENERAL ELECTION
- October 9, 2020 - Last day to postmark voter registration form or to register in person at your county Board of Elections office.
- October 24 - November 1, 2020 - Early voting period
- October 27, 2020 - Last day to postmark application for absentee ballot
- November 2, 2020 - Last day to apply in person for absentee ballot
- November 2, 2020 - Last day to postmark ballot for general election (must be received by November 10, 2020)
- November 3, 2020 - Last day to deliver absentee ballot in person to Board of Elections
- November 3, 2020 from 6 am to 9 pm - Election Day
For up-to-date and accurate information on early voting polling sites, how to obtain an absentee ballot, and more, please visit the Westchester County Board of Elections at https://citizenparticipation.westchestergov.com/.
LATEST NEWS FROM NYS LEGISLATURE AND GOVERNOR CUOMO:
- Anyone in NYS may request an absentee ballot for the general election and use the temporary illness excuse if they are trying to avoid COVID-19.
- Voters can apply more than 30 days before the election for an absentee ballot. The ballots will be mailed out about September 18, 2020.
- To be sure that your vote is counted, vote early or apply for an absentee ballot today and mail it back as early as possible.
On July 28th, the Pace Women's Justice Center and the LWVNC partnered to present a program on Title IX sexual discrimination laws. The video can be viewed here.
Conversation with Westchester County Executive George Latimer
The League of Women Voters of New Castle invited the community to join in a Zoom conversation with Westchester County Executive George Latimer on July 16, 2020.